While I was on exchange in London, I took a free copy of the Tesco magazines and spotted a recipe for black velvet cupcakes. It was my first time hearing about black velvet and so I marked the recipe down to try when I return back to Singapore. So this week, I finally went about making black velvet cupcake. For some reason, I planned to use this BBC Good Food recipe instead of the Tesco recipe and for some reason, I forgot to buy baking powder so I ended up googling at the last minute for a recipe that doesn’t need baking powder. Luckily, the first google result is a recipe that doesn’t require baking powder! Yay!
For the frosting, I made some Swiss Meringue Buttercream and added around 1 teaspoon of this blackberry-boiled-with-sugar-juice thingy. The SMBC turned out too sweet for my liking but the cupcakes (no eggs added, my first time making a cake without eggs!) was very very dark (and I like them!) so it complemented the frosting really well!
All in all, the cupcakes were awesome. Maybe I’ll make them into a proper cake someday!
- 140g fresh blackberries
- 80g plain flour
- 75g caster sugar, divided into 50g and 25g portions
- 30g cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoons coffee powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 40ml vegetable oil
- 120ml milk
- In a pot, combine the blackberries and 25g sugar. Bring it to a boil under medium heat and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and pass the mixture through a sieve. Saving the juice for the cream later, place the solids back into the pot.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius and line a cupcake pan with paper liners.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together plain flour, the remaining 50g sugar, cocoa powder, coffee powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the vanilla extract, vegetable oil, and milk. Use a spatula to mix well.
- Fold in the blackberry solids from the pot.
- Pour the batter into 6 cupcake holes, about 3/4 full each.
- Bake for 18 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the cupcake comes out clean. Remove the cupcakes and let them cool.
I halved the recipe and added the blackberry juice (around 2 teaspoons for this light pink shade) after adding in the vanilla extract. Add more blackberry juice according to personal preference.
Pipe the cream onto the cupcakes after the cupcakes have cooled.
Makes 6 cupcakes.