After the success of my pumpkin chiffon cake, I attempted to make another healthy-sounding chiffon cake – sweet potato chiffon cake!
I wanted to use purple sweet potatoes but I couldn’t find them so I settled with boring yellow sweet potatoes. There wasn’t a strong sweet potato taste to the cake. Like the pumpkin cake, it tastes more like a normal vanilla chiffon so I guess the only bonus is the extra fibre from the sweet potato!
Recipe: (from 好吃威风蛋糕轻松上手 by 福田 淳子)
|For 17 cm tin||For 20 cm tin|
|Large eggs yolks||3||5|
|Roasted Black Sesame||1 & 1/2 teaspoon||2 teaspoons|
|Steamed Sweet Potato||100g||160g|
|Large egg whites||4||7|
- Clean the sweet potato thoroughly and steam it with its skin on for abut 30 to 40 minutes, until a skewer can pierce through it. Cut the sweet potato into cubes, with its skin on.
- Sieve cake flour twice. Preheat oven to 180◦c
- Add egg yolks into a metal bowl and break them up. Add in brown sugar and mix well with hand whisk.
- Add in vegetable oil bit by bit, over a few additions. Mix after each addition.
- Add in sieved powder mixture and mix till shiny and smooth using a hand whisk.
- Mix in the sweet potato cubes and black sesame.
- In a separate metal bowl, beat the egg whites using an electric beater till frothy. Add in half of the caster sugar. (Use clean bowls and whisks)
- Continue to beat the whites. Add in the rest of the sugar.
- Continue beating until peaks form.
- Add 1/3 of the egg white mixture into the egg yolk mixture and use a whisk to mix well. Fold in remaining egg whites quickly using a spatula. Do not break the air bubbles.
- Pour the batter into the tin from high above the tin in one go. (Do not grease the tin. Aluminium tins are recommended)
- Pick up the tin with both hands and knock it against the table top lightly to release the air inside.
- Bake for around 30minutes (for 17 cm tin) / 40 minutes (for 20 cm tin)
- Immediately place the cake (together with the tin) upside down on an upside down cup to cool. (Once it is somewhat cooled, place it in the fridge for about an hour)
- Remove the cake and trim the cake