So I was tasked to cook dinner for my family the other day. Usually, dinner means a few dishes like stir-fried vegetables + stir-fried vegetables + stir-fried meat + soup + rice and this is one such dish that appears on my family’s dining table.
This stir-fried chicken in dark soy sauce is almost a staple in my family. It appears on our dining table almost thrice a week and in various forms! This is a very versatile dish as almost any other ingredients can be added to the chicken + dark soy sauce combo. Chicken with yam, chicken with potatoes, chicken with mushrooms, and chicken with quail eggs are just some of the many variations.
I added potatoes and canned button mushrooms for this version. This dish is really yummy (goes soooo well with white rice!) and simple to whip up. Also, you can use other parts of the chicken or even pork but I like it with chicken breast because I like chicken breast the… best hahaha.
- 200g chicken breast
- 2 small potatoes
- 200g canned button mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon oil
- 4 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons water (+ a little bit more)
1. Cut the chicken and potatoes into bite-sized pieces. Rinse the button mushrooms. Chop the garlic.
2. Heat up the work and add the oil. Add in the garlic and fry till fragrant. Do not burn the garlic.
3. Add in the chicken and some water (Not too much, just enough to make sure the chicken doesn’t burn). Stir till the surface turns white. Add in the potatoes and dark soy sauce. Stir-fry for around 2 minutes.
4. Add in the 4 tablespoons of water (or more if some gravy is desired). Cover the wok and simmer till the water almost dries up (do not wait until the water is completely gone)
5 . Give the ingredients some stirring. The water/sauce will be further reduced. Season to taste (With more dark soy sauce, salt, or white pepper).
Feeds around 4. Amount of ingredients are very estimated!