Hi I’m back with my savoury muffins! As I was looking for a new savoury muffin to try out, I realised that
there isn’t a lot of variety out there. They’re all either something + cheese or corn muffins. I tried to think of some combinations out of my head but I can’t really think of things that go well with flour other than cheese haha.
Anyway I decided to settle for a spinach and cheese combination this time round ’cause I thought that eating spinach will make me healthier and give me more nutrients haha. The original recipe called for the spinach to be boiled before chopping and adding in to the batter but I skipped it. I also replaced parmesan with cheddar because I like cheddar more hahaha.
I thought the muffin was a little too… spinachy for my liking LOL. There’s a very strong spinach smell and I don’t really like it. However, my Mother and some others who tried liked the muffin and didn’t complain about the spinachy smell. Hmm haha. Anyway, the muffin is very moist and I like it! (Minus the spinach)
Recipe: (from http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/637832)
- 250 g plain flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 75 g grated cheddar
- 100 g chopped raw spinach
- 1 egg
- 240 ml milk
- 90 ml vegetable oil
1. Preheat the oven to 190C/170C fan.
2. Sift the flour, salt and baking powder into a large mixing bowl. Stir in the sugar, about two-thirds of the cheese and the spinach.
3. In a separate bowl, beat together the egg, milk and vegetable oil.
4. Pour the liquid mixture into the dry ingredients. Using a metal spoon, stir until just combined. The mixture should be lumpy with no traces of dry flour. Do not over mix.
5. Spoon the mixture into lined muffin tin and sprinkle the remaining cheese on top. Bake for 20-25 minutes until risen and golden. Serve warm.
Makes 12 muffins