Yay exam’s over! And my first year in University has ended! To celebrate (or mourn the loss of my youth), I made some chocolate chip cookies ’cause there’s a big jug of macadamia nuts at home and it’s painful to snack excessively on macadamia nuts.
It’s been a long time since I made chocolate chip cookies using this recipe. This recipe guarantees great taste but getting the right texture’s a little tricky. I’ve written notes on the recipe but it was such a long time ago I forgot what’s the purpose of the notes I’ve written haha. One of them is to use more brown sugar for a chewier cookie and more white sugar for a crunchier one.
I didn’t adjust the ratio of this batch of cookies and it turned out to be those chewy kinds. My family and I prefer those crunchier cookies so I should use more white sugar next time.
*My microwave cum oven has a fan but I’m not sure if the temperature is “adjusted” for fan-forced. For most recipes I did not set the temperature lower than the stated one and things come out fine. For this recipe, I followed both the temperature for fan-forced ovens and non-fan forced ones. Setting the temperature at 180 degrees made my cookies too brown, while at 160 degrees they turn out a nice colour and a little too chewy (I’m wondering if it’s more of undercooking the cookie or the ratio of the sugars). Still trying hard to figure out what kind of fan-forced oven I have haha
Recipe: (From Women’s Weekly Cakes, Biscuits & Slices)
- 125g salted butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup (75g) caster sugar
- 1/3 cup (75g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup (150g) plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 150g chocolate chips/eating chocolate chopped coarsely
- 1/2 cup (50g) nuts chopped coarsely
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius (160 fan-forced). Grease oven trays/line with baking paper
2. Beat butter, extract, sugars, and egg in a bowl until smooth. Do not overbeat. Stir in sifted flour and soda, then chocolate and nuts.
3. Drop level tablespoons of mixture onto trays 5cm apart. Bake about 15 minutes and cool.
Makes around 24 palm-sized cookies