It was my sister’s birthday so I decided to bake a birthday cake for her. It turned out okay, not too bad but not too good too haha.
I got the cake recipe from Joy of Baking and the texture was kind of like kueh, overly dense. It wasn’t too sweet so it balanced well with the chocolate fudge frosting. I got the recipe for the frosting from some women’s weekly cook book. It was quite sweet though I have already cut the amount of caster sugar (I used 85g instead of 110). And I’m not sure if I did something wrong or what but the frosting was rather grainy and I can feel the icing sugar. But that didn’t bother me much and I found it great.
Frosting – Women’s Weekly Cakes, Biscuits & Slices
- 90g butter
- 80ml water
- 110g caster sugar (I used 85g)
- 240g icing sugar
- 35g cocoa powder
1. Combine water, butter and caster sugar in a small saucepan, stir over low heat without boiling until sugar dissolves
2. Sift icing sugar and cocoa powder into a bowl and gradually stir into the hot butter mixture
3. Cover, refrigerate for about 20 minutes or until frosting thickens
4. Beat with wooden spoon until spreadable and spread!