I was browsing through Maangchi’s blog and I came across this recipe for kimchi stew. I remembered I tried making kimchi stew many many years ago and it was so easy and delicious. So! I decided to make it again for a hearty lunch.
Mmm and it came out so delicious. I added an egg to my stew so it’s less like the authentic kimchi stew. The stew looks abit dehydrated ’cause I added too much tofu and too little water. But it turned out to be something good and thick. I don’t really want to have lots of left over soup too ’cause I just want to drizzle some soup over my rice. Not much of a soup person here haha.
Oh and here’s a photo of the kimchi after I’m done chowing through all that tofu. I added one whole packet so there’s really more tofu than what’s in the picture below. I took out some so it’ll look less like red-tofu-in-a-pot haha. The stew doesn’t look amazing or even appetising but it’s yummy! And so easy to make. Just add the chilli paste and the ingredients and you’re good to go. How fool proof!
Recipe: (adapted from Maangchi)
- Around a fist size of pork
- 1 cup chopped kimchi
- 1/4 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp hot pepper flakes (I omitted them)
- 1/4 tbsp korean hot pepper paste (gochujang)
- 1/4 onion
- 1 stalk green onions
- sesame oil
1. Add the kimchi and juice into a shallow pot.
2. Place the sliced onion, chopped green onion, sliced pork, sugar, hot pepper flakes and hot pepper paste into the pot.
3. Pour water over the top until the ingredients are all submerged.
4. Close the lid of the pot and boil on high for 10 minutes. Turn down the heat and continue to boil on medium heat for 15-20 minutes.
5. Add in tofu and cook for another 5 minutes. Add some sesame oil. Serve.
Makes a hearty meal for one