It was my Father’s birthday so I decided to make a proper cake with icing and all! Having been really disappointed by whipped cream icings, I decided to try buttercream icings. I chanced upon nutella buttercream icing and it looks really really delicious so I decided to give it a go! Afterall, how bad can nutella get!
I paired this nutella buttercream icing with my plain chiffon and it tastes awesomeeeee. However, I was a little too liberal with salt and the icing was a tad too salty. And so the cake gets sickening after awhile.
Oh and buttercream is much more easier to to ice than whipped cream icing. Though I didn’t do a terrific job this time round, the cake still looks presentable and a little rustic haha. I’m looking forward to try swiss meringue buttercream next time!
Recipe: (adapted from Add a Pinch)
- 227g unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups sifted icing sugar
- 3/4 cup Nutella
- 3 tablespoon milk
- 2 teaspoon vanilla essence
1. Soften the butter at room temperature
2. Beat the butter on medium speed for 2-3 minutes (I used a hand mixer and the butter flew out of my bowl T.T)
3. Once creamed and smooth, add icing sugar and beat.
4. Add in the liquids and beat until combined and creamy.
5. Taste the cream. If it’s too sweet, add some salt. Too thick, add more milk. Too thin, add more icing sugar. (I added slightly less than 2 cups of sugar and 3/4 cups of nutella and some salt. The sweetness was just right for me)
Makes enough to generously ice a cake.